'What do I need you for when I have wings to fly?'
By Mia-Jane Harris
[painted deer skull & wings I prepared myself from a dead pigeon I found]
My new skull piece about my Erbs Palsy (stunted growth + paralysis of my right arm due to nerve damage during birth), inspired by Frida Kahlo’s quote ‘Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?’ Frida Kahlo is a Mexican artist from the 1920’s-50’s who has been a huge influence on me & my art. She was a medical student when a tragic accident severally damaged her spine which caused her many major spine, leg and feet problems throughout her life; having to spend it all in pain and a large part of it bed ridden. Due to this causing her to not be able to continue her medical studies she turned to art and it changed her life and became her wings.
The arms in the image represent the normal & ‘ideal’ arms of function & symmetry. The decorative designs are taken from traditional Mexican designs as a dedication to Frida Kahlo and my previous inspirations from the Mexican Day of the Dead festival.
This is not about not needing my Erbs Palsy, this is about not needing normality and perfection.
- anatomique reblogged this from dead-sweet-art
- narcoticrose reblogged this from dead-sweet-art
- artsatlas likes this
- homesteadilee reblogged this from br-35
- homesteadilee likes this
- br-35 reblogged this from dead-sweet-art
- stonednddethroned reblogged this from dead-sweet-art and added:
- a-g-nusdei likes this
- ladies-amirite likes this
- stfuweirdo likes this
- maggot-brained reblogged this from dead-sweet-art
- boulture likes this
- sorchart reblogged this from dead-sweet-art
- the-brain-fuckler likes this
- antichris reblogged this from dead-sweet-art
- overidealism reblogged this from dead-sweet-art
- ostealjewelry likes this
- iliveinarocketship likes this
- michimera likes this
- darkorama reblogged this from dead-sweet-art
- awolgina likes this
- lava-flows likes this
- moshita likes this
- dahmersfishisnamedalbert likes this
- dirtytucson likes this
- dead-sweet-art posted this